Sunday, December 23, 2012

Back at It!

        Long time, no write, but things have been a whirlwind since the last time that I wrote.  PhD classes ended with a bang; school was Go!Go!Go! until Friday when Christmas Break started; and holiday prepping, crafting, and shopping took over every evening.  Plus, trying to recoup, let my body do what it needs to do, and rebuild my blood levels.  I am still tired and tire easily, but I definitely feel better than I did a month ago.  The schedule has paid off, though, because the only thing that I have left to do for Christmas is cards.  We just got back from a holiday/Steelers get-together, and, after I take a short nap,  I hope to do my cards and several other things on the to-do list.  One task is to make homemade doggie treats for my four-legged friends Christmas presents. :-) I found a few recipes that are not too difficult, so I want to give them a try.  Pumpkin, beef, and banana flavored -- can't miss with those!
        On a VERY positive note, I am down to 174.6!!!!  That's right! I've been losing steadily for the last couple weeks, and have been working really hard to up my protein intake to help my hair loss. I have been losing quite a bit of hair, even though I am now taking Biotin and using Nioxin hair shampoo, conditioner, and scalp treatment.  Nothing too drastic right now, but I don't want it to become an issue.  I feel better, too, but I definitely get tired really quickly and need to take a break now and then. There is just no time to take a break because too much needs to be done.  There have been several days over the last two weeks when I went to bed at 7:30 - 8:00 and still had a hard time waking up the next morning.  Literally, the last two weeks I have had something - either work or another obligation - every day. Add in all of the other stuff and it has been a bit draining.  I hope to regroup a bit over the next week, but my days are quickly filling up, so I will be lucky to have even one day on which I have no where to go.  I know that nothing has to be done, but there are simply things that have to be done that will make my life easier in the next quarter of classes, and there are things that I want to do that I am tired of putting off. We shall see what happens. :-) 
        I did get a 4.0 this quarter, so I am happy.  Also, I made the President's List - kind of like the Dean's List, but students have to have a 4.0 to make the list.  I am very proud of that accomplishment, especially with everything that went on this part quarter.  Now, it is on to the last quarter of classes! A stats class and the second half of the internship.  Hard to believe that I am so close to dissertation.  I am excited beyond belief to be that much closer to accomplishing a lifelong goal, but I am thankful for a few weeks reprieve from the craziness. 
        However, I have been on what feels like a shopping spree! LOL.  I have been buying clothes almost every time I go out - mainly because I am so stoked that I can actually FIT into clothes again.  It's been so long since I could walk into a store and have so many options and not feel like I was going to leave the fitting room empty-handed.  I know that I need to stop, though, because I still have weight to lose and that means that I will not be in these 12s for long. . . I need to wait until I reach my goal weight and then I can shop 'til I drop, lol.  What's cool is being able to go to the sale racks and find so many good bargains. I used to love going to so many various stores and finding things to mix and match - jewelry, sweaters, pants, etc.  I just have to be patient and exercise more self control when it comes to shopping.  "All in good time," as the Wicked Witch said. :-)
        As for the ulcers, they are healing well from what I can gather. I feel much better, like I said, and my stomach is tolerating much more than it had been.  I definitely know the symptoms now, so if I start to feel that way again, I will head to the doctors.  I had a appointment with the surgeon on the 17th, and things are looking good. I will be on some sort of medication for the ulcers forever, but as long as I monitor what I eat and drink, I don't expect to have any other issues.  I am allowed to eat raw veggies and salad, but I have to chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, . . . .you get the idea.  I just have to eat my protein first, rather than the salad.  I have to get some blood work before my next appointment in March, and I will have to have another scope at some point just to see how things have healed.  For now, I just need to keep on, keeping on.
        It is hard to believe that it will four months since the surgery at the end of the week.  So much has happened and changed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment