Sunday, October 21, 2012

And It Has Begun . . .


            Wow, has this been an incredibly busy and exhausting week.  Good, but my body is definitely having some issues keeping up with my schedule now.  Friday night I went to see the band and had a great time.  Wonderful friends and good music; doesn’t get much better than that.  My friends Greg, Ed, and Sue came, along with two of Sue’s friends, Autumn and Kirsten.  It was so good to have them there to support my Glenndini and to just have a good time. :-)
            Yesterday, I went to get my Oz tattoo.  It is totally ozsome!!  Brian Corley at Unique Ink in Greensburg absolutely rocked it and got it right.  I have an appointment on Halloween to get a tattoo in memory of Puck. I am getting something small on my wrist.  His name and maybe a heart or paw print. Nothing too extravagant, but another way to always have my buddy with me each and every day.  I still miss him like crazy, and every time I think about him I get teary. I miss my Puckaroo something fierce, for sure. 
            After the tattoo, I went to run errands; the first stop was Barnes & Noble, and I ended up wandering through the store looking at everything.  Then, I took my choices to the coffee shop, had a Pumpkin Spice latte  (skim milk, no whip) while I looked through them and made final decisions.  I went to Kohl’s, Target, and Wal-mart to look for clothes and get groceries.  At some point in Barnes and Noble, I realized that I needed to just take some time, be by myself, and do something other than school or PhD work.  I was in what I call a “burn out coma”; they occur when the realization of the amount of work that must be completed is so overwhelming that your brain and body just shuts down for several hours.  I needed to separate myself for a bit and take care of some other things so that I could spend today focusing on my work again. 
            That separation meant that today was all work and no play, though.  Since I didn’t get to bed until around 5:30 this morning, I didn’t wake up until 11:00 woke me up to say good-bye before he left for his show this afternoon.  I ate breakfast, watched a little TV, and got to work.  I finished my replies to discussion posts for PhD work, updated my teacher website, did lesson plans and answer keys for the week, read some for PhD work, and then had to take a bit of a nap because I was head bobbing at the desk.  During the Steelers game, I reworked my internship proposal so that it could be resubmitted for this week’s assignment.   Of course, I had to stop a few times to eat, take Cira out, clean the tattoo, etc., but it really has been a work-filled day.  I am slow going at it though, and that is so frustrating!  I hate that it takes me so long to accomplish things.  I know that I am doing my best and want to put my best into everything, but sometimes I feel like I am the slowest person on earth when it comes to work. 
            Well, it is time to go to bed and try to get some sleep. It will be a long day tomorrow, but I may be able to get a nap in when I get home before I hit the books again.  I will be out of town for a PhD Colloquium from Wednesday late until Sunday evening, so I want to be as productive as possible tomorrow and Tuesday.  Wish me luck!
            Until tomorrow. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment