Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Labor Day!


            Today has been a so-so day.  I feel the same as usual, but a bit more comfortable because I am no longer constipated! ;-)  I was up extremely late catching up on last week’s work for one course, and woke up early.  Needless to say, I took a nap this afternoon.  I have been putzing around online and catching up on some things that I wanted to check out.  Eating my soup, pudding, and jello.  I really want to try some cheese in my soups to jazz them up a bit, but I need to go to the grocery store.  Maybe tomorrow evening if Glenndini is up to it. :-)  A friend sent me a web address for a site that explains how to make homemade baby food.  This will come in very handy when I need to move to the pureed foods portion of the post-op diet.  There is a recipe for a mango, apple, banana "sauce" that sounds really yummy!  Plus, it will just be a great way to make some fruity desserts and side dishes.  Check it out:  www.wholesomebabyfood.com
            Tonight I tried some regular coffee. Now, I know that I am not supposed to have caffeine, but I did the research before surgery as to why caffeine was bad and feel that I could have a watered down, not so strong cup of regular coffee once in a while.  I didn’t make a really strong cup; I used Glenn’s K-cup to make a small cup of coffee.  It was a bit weaker since he had used it once.  I took a few sips and was so sad! It did not taste like the coffee I remember at all!! I thought that the few sips that I’ve had of decaf so far were bitter because they were decaf, but I am so afraid that my taste buds changed and now coffee -- one of my all-time favorite things in the universe to drink -- will no longer taste so yummy.   I am not ready for that reality, and will experiment with some natural sweetener and milk.  
           I am still a bit uncomfortable and not sure how to tell if it is hunger or surgery pain.  I feel like I could eat more after eating my soup or pudding, but don’t want to push it.  Sitting at my desk is painful because my back aches horribly.  But it must be done.  I have to keep working through it to get caught up with classes.  I think a large part of my back pain is that my abdomen muscles are sore and pull on my back muscles. I sound like a broken record, huh?  Truthfully, this is the hardest part of the recovery so far.  I just can’t get comfortable, whether I am sitting, standing, or in bed.  I may try some Icy Hot in a bit.  I gotta do something, lol.
            I am reaching an anxiety stage at this point -- I just want to get going!  I want to start eating and exercising and living this next chapter of my life.  Don’t worry, I am not going to jump ahead or do anything to ruin the progress that I am making, but I am so ready!  I have so much on my plate already, but there are so many other ideas and projects that I have started to think about as far as support for bariatric patients and exercise clubs.  I need about 40 more hours in a day, or a drug that makes sleep unnecessary. LOL.  For now, I must get back to another major goal that I will be achieving in the future:  Earning my PhD.  Until tomorrow. . . 
            

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there babycakes,we knew it would be tough right??We knew there would be some aches and pain right??But we also know that we can do this!!You have come so far and will reap the rewards later and oh how fabulous they will be.Im here if you ever need me gf,sending much love and some of that good mojo you sent me. <3<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We absolutely knew it would be, lady! And, knowing that I have you and so many other friends cheering for me. It is getting so much better each day, and this is just one more hurdle to jump over! Thanks, lady . . . Love ya!

      Delete
  2. I have some questions... is it too soon for a massage? And do you feel weaker, lightheaded, or headachy from the change in your calorie intake? I can't help but wonder, and you're being so open. Thanks for sharing! P.S. This is Dana R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask away, Dana! I have a massage scheduled for the 19th. :-) It would be a bit hard to be on my stomach or lean into it on a chair massage at this point I think. I don't think the caloric intake is a problem either b/c I have been on a liquid diet since August 14th. I think that the back pain is the biggest factor at this point. :-) Thanks, lady. :-)

      Delete
  3. Have been off work for the last 4 days and haven't been online to check on you (Greg let me know that your surgery went well - he was supposed to give you my love when he visited you in the hospital!)

    I'm sorry your back is hurting you so much! Ask the doctor when you will be able to get a massage and then call and book one for that day - it will give you something to look forward to, other than your shopping spree (which will be really exciting!!)

    It sounds like, food-wise, you are adapting well. Sorry coffee isn't appealing right now (I've never had a cup of coffee in my life so I don't understand why people think it tastes so great. My dad gave me some when I was little - doctored quite well with cream and sugar - and I thought it was terribly bitter and hated the aftertaste. He told me I had to learn to like it which I thought was stupid. I feel the same way about beer and cigarettes - why keep drinking/smoking until I "learn" to like it? So I went with my gut instinct and haven't tried it since!)

    I would imagine your taste buds will change - you went through a cleansing of sorts with your pre-op diet and are continuing that with your post-op diet. You should discover that sweetened foods are TOO sweet, added salt will more than likely make things too salty, and bitter foods will be even more bitter. It's kinda cool - you get to start all over and reintroduce yourself to food. That's exciting if you think about it! Like a baby being given food for the first time (just don't spit it all over the place like they do if you don't like it! LOL)

    Take care! Love ya' lots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lady! Miss you, and i am glad that you finally got some time off! I hope you were able to relax and enjoy it. Greg did tell me you said hello. :-)

      I already have a massage scheduled for September 19th. I don't know that I'd be able to be on my stomach before then, or lean on it too much for a chair massage. I made that appointment in August! LOL Glenn has been doing a great job with the back rubs and keeping me comfortable. I really won the lottery when I found him. :-)

      That is so funny about you and coffee. My pap did that with me, except it was chewing tobacco. He was my hero and I wanted to be just like him. So, when I was about four he gave me some of his Cherokee tobacco. Never touched it since, lol. I agree - if it isn't good, why do it?

      Learning to love food again is so cool, really. Where one food is no longer appealing, another will surely step in and take its place. I love my coffee, but I am sure that I will be able to find something else that I can enjoy just as much. I am looking forward to trying new things and finding ways to prepare food to celebrate the good in it, rather than the bad.

      I will be heading to Chaperone with my mom, aunt, and maybe Greg, so I will see you soon!

      Love ya!

      Delete