Friday, September 14, 2012

What a Day


            Alas, a sad day.  I was not able to join the gym, I am afraid.  I was looking over the good ol’ finances, and it is just not feasible at the moment.  I still have to pay a good bit for this last quarter of PhD work because the student loan didn’t cover everything; I went on a required four-day colloquium and that brings tuition costs up for the quarter. I need to pay off the balance so that Capella will release my transcripts so that I can get my pay raise. Ugh.  Then, to add to the not-so-good mojo for the day, I called to register for my Italian course -- there is a waiting list! Boo!!! THEN, I went to leave to go to the post office and my car wouldn’t start. L  Four strikes for me today - no gym, no raise, no Italian, no car.
            Now, normally I would have gone straight to the pantry and chowed down on something carb-filled in the comfort food category or eaten a pint of Ben & Jerry’s. No more, though.  I am redirecting my frustration by tackling a few phone calls and office tasks.  I have come to terms with the gym situation, too, and know that it is for the best.  I can still be excited about working out, but I will just do it in my house.  I have everything I need in the basement -- treadmill, ab lounger, free weights, weight machine, stepper platform -- and a bike, Wii, and a few workout DVDs.  I just need to reach deep and find the strength to make myself do it.  The cost of joining the gym just really doesn’t make sense when I have access to everything I need.  We are going to get another cable box so that there will be cable on the little TV down there, too. 
            Plus, I really want to focus on getting some house projects completed so that I can enjoy the porch. :-) Not to mention all of those new clothes I will have to buy, which will be pretty costly since I will be starting over from scratch several times throughout the next six months to a year.  I know that it sounds like I am rationalizing my decision, but it really is about being realistic.  I think that I got caught up in the idea because it was something new and different; however, in the words of Dorothy, “If I ever go looking for my heart’s desire again, I won’t go looking beyond my own backyard because if it isn’t there, then I never really lost it in the first place.”  I have what I need here in my home; no need to go elsewhere just to go elsewhere. 
            I may have discovered a food that bothers me, but this is a very uneducated and preliminary statement, and one that makes me a bit sad if it turns out to be true.  Peanut Butter.  Last week I made a yummy peanut butter cup protein shake, but it didn’t sit too well after several yummy sips.  Tonight I had three baby spoons of peanut butter.  Literally it was just over a teaspoon, if that.  However, I have felt a bit uncomfortable since eating it.  Let’s hope that this is something that will go away as the months pass.  Maybe it will be like the coffee incident, lol. 
            Well, today has been a long day and I am feeling a bit more worn out and tired than usual.  Tomorrow is the fundraiser at Irwin Park for Anthony Peperato.  Stop by if you get the chance!! It’s for a great cause and puts my bad day in perspective, for sure.
            Until tomorrow. . . .


;

No comments:

Post a Comment