Thursday, September 13, 2012

I Gotta Let Me Be Me


            Just made some pureed egg whites with cheese, dash of salt & pepper, and three spritzes of butter.  It is very yummy. :-)   Also, I packed Glenndini’s lunch and made a new batch of puddings and jellos.  We should be stocked up for a few days, LOL.  As I make these small meals or do these little things in the kitchen, I am getting excited about trying some new recipes from my Biggest Loser cookbook.  There are some great looking recipes that will let us eat good food and be healthy at the same time.  Susan Leach’s book has a recipe for hummus.  Can we discuss how much I love hummus?  I need to find something that I can eat with it that resembles a cracker without the carbs.  Maybe some low fat, low carb tortillas roasted just a bit to be a tad crunchy . . . gotta check into that!
            I went to LA Fitness and talked to Steve.  I think that I am going to join on Friday.  I am not sure which plan I want to go with as far as no initiation fee, higher monthly payment -- or high initiation fee, low monthly payment.  I feel guilty about spending the money to join a gym when I have the equipment in the basement; however, I know that this will motivate me to go and I can work with a trainer to get some focus on my triceps and stomach so that I am not too flabby as I lose the weight.  If I stop on the way home, exercise will happen.  If I think that I will do it once I get home, not so much.  I use my floor pedaler, light free weights, and such, but a true workout needs to happen in a way that I feel obligated.  Plus, when I am around other people who exercise, it is motivating and makes me want to do it even more so.  I need to chat with Glenndini a bit more and see which plan works best for me and our pocketbook. 
            I really miss being able to walk Cira, though.  I had been talking her for walks every night/ridiculously early morning and looked forward to it.  Plus, it is getting to be cooler weather and I would love to take her geocaching.  Not for a while longer, though, because she pulls on me too hard and I do not want to risk injuring myself or messing up my incisions or surgical sites.  Hopefully by mid-October I will be able to get back to our walking routine.  Her little face breaks my heart when I let her out and she looks at me as if to say, “Aren’t we going for a walk, Mom?” 
            Being the nerdy English teacher that I am, I love to read and to write.  I have written several poems over the years, many of which I am proud, and I have tons of lines scrawled onto napkins, scraps of paper, margins, etc. that have not found their home as of yet.  I was rearranging things in the office, including where my writing journals are stored, and came across this blurb:
So I gotta take it easy
Gotta take it slow
Gotta keep in mind
Gotta try to see
That no matter how high I climb
No matter how low I go
I gotta let me be me

Nothing fancy, but it struck me because it hit upon the reason that surgery has meant so much to me.  It is a tool by which I can let me be me -- again.  That last line should be everyone’s mantra; when things seem to be getting you down or you are feeling out-of-whack, repeat it to yourself while smiling.  Be who you are, and be proud!
            Until tomorrow. . . .

2 comments:

  1. have you thought about a gentle leader for your dog? we use them for ours... it resembles a muzzle but does not restrict their mouth, it works but turning their head when they begin to pull and they stop immediately. i have two dogs who yank and pull and gag themselves... without it i can not walk them indiviually... if i put the gentle leaders on them, i can walk both of them (they are border collie/lab mix and weigh 50 to 65 lbs each) on the same leash with a splitter with slack in the leash and absolutley no yanking!!! they sell them at pet smart under the brand name Halti... it is the best invention ever... does not hurt your dog in anyway and would let you get out there and walk with your buddy again. give it a try!

    also...just wanted to say that i have really enjoyed following along with you. thanks for sharing your story. i admire your courage and i hope you are feeling better and better each day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karie!

    Sharing helps me to document my progress and be able to look back at where I've been and how far I've come. More importantly, it lets me reach out to others you may have the same struggles and let them know that they are not alone.

    I am going to look for one of those Halti's!! At least it might train her to stop. She is just too strong for me. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete